About the area
ABS ERP 2016
Bankstown is named in honour of Sir Joseph Banks, the botanist.
Location and boundaries
Bankstown City is located in Sydney’s south-western suburbs, between 13 and 23 kilometres south-west of the Sydney GPO. Bankstown City is bounded by Parramatta City and the Auburn and Strathfield Council areas in the north, Canterbury and Hurstville Cities in the east, Liverpool City and Sutherland Shire in the south, and Fairfield City in the west. The City's boundaries are the Prospect water supply pipeline in the north, Roberts Road, Juno Parade, Koala Road, Punchbowl Road, Canterbury Road and Salt Pan Creek in the east, the Georges River in the south, and the Georges River, Prospect Creek, the Hume Highway and Woodville Road in the west.
Bankstown City includes the suburbs of Bankstown, Bankstown Aerodrome, Bass Hill, Birrong, Chester Hill (part), Chullora, Condell Park, East Hills, Georges Hall, Greenacre (part), Lansdowne, Milperra, Mount Lewis, Padstow, Padstow Heights, Panania, Picnic Point, Potts Hill, Punchbowl (part), Regents Park (part), Revesby, Revesby Heights, Sefton, Villawood (part) and Yagoona.
Bankstown City is a residential, commercial and industrial area. The City encompasses a total land area of 77 square kilometres.
Bankstown City is served by the Hume Highway, the South Western Motorway, Bankstown Airport, and the Bankstown and East Hills railway lines.
European settlement dates from 1798 when the first land grants were made to marines, free settlers and convicts. Development increased after the Great South Road (today’s Hume Highway) was completed in 1814. Land was used mainly for timber-getting, farming and market gardening, with the population numbering 1,000 up until the 1890s. Population increased with the coming of the railway, which was extended from Belmore in 1909. The opening of the line to Lidcombe in 1928 and to East Hills in 1931 stimulated significant development, with 22,000 residential lots released between 1920 and 1930. Growth took place particularly in areas around the Bankstown CBD and in the north of the City. By 1939, the population had reached 28,000. During World War 2, significant aircraft and armaments operations were established at Bankstown Airport and Villawood. Industrial development boomed in the post-war years, providing jobs for the many new residents who were moving to the area. Between 1948 and 1954, the City’s population increased by around 10,000 per year, growing from about 43,000 to 102,000. By 1961, the population numbered over 151,000. The population increased gradually from the 1990s, rising from about 154,000 in 1991 to about 182,000 in 2011. Growth in recent years has largely been from infill development (medium density housing) and town centre development.
The original inhabitants of the Bankstown area were the Gweagal, Bidjigal and Dharug Aboriginal people.
Regional labour force
Bankstown City labour force region is defined by an area in which a significant percentage of workers travelled into Bankstown City to work at the 2011 Census. Details of this calculation and a list of areas included can be found in the data notes.