City of Marion
About the area
ABS ERP 2016
Marion is thought to be named after Miss Marion Fisher, the daughter of the first Resident Commissioner, or after the wife of Colonel Nixon.
Location and boundaries
The City of Marion is located in Adelaide's south-western suburbs, about 10 kilometres from the Adelaide CBD. The City of Marion is bounded by the City of West Torrens in the north, the Cities of Unley and Mitcham in the east, the City of Onkaparinga in the south, and Gulf St Vincent and the City of Holdfast Bay in the west.
The City of Marion includes the suburbs of Ascot Park, Bedford Park (part), Clovelly Park, Darlington (part), Dover Gardens, Edwardstown, Glandore (part), Glengowrie, Hallett Cove (part), Marino, Marion, Mitchell Park, Morphettville, O'Halloran Hill (part), Oaklands Park, Park Holme, Plympton Park, Reynella (part), Seacliff Park (part), Seacombe Gardens, Seacombe Heights, Seaview Downs, Sheidow Park (part), South Plympton, Sturt, Trott Park and Warradale.
The City of Marion is a predominantly a residential area, with some commercial, industrial and rural areas. The City encompasses a total land area of about 55 square kilometres, including significant conservation areas, recreation parks, rivers and coastline.
The City of Marion is served by the Southern Expressway, the Noarlunga railway line and the Glenelg-Adelaide tramway.
European settlement dates from 1838 when the Village of Marion was laid out. Land was used mainly for farming, particularly vegetables, almonds, stone-fruits and grapes. There were also mining, quarrying and brick-making industries. Some growth took place from the 1880s into the early 1900s, spurred by the establishment of cement manufacturing in Seacliff Park in 1882. Much subdivision took place in the 1920s, aided by the construction of the tramway and railway line, with housing mainly in the areas closest to the tramline and railway stations. Significant residential development occurred during the post-war years, aided by industrial growth and public housing construction. The population of the City increased from about 11,000 in 1947 to 66,000 in 1966. In the 1960s and 1970s new suburbs were developed in the southern area (Hallett Cove, Sheidow Park and Trott Park). The population of the City was relatively stable between 1991 and 1996. The population increased slightly from the mid 1990s, rising from 74,000 in 1996, to over 81,000 in 2011. Much of the recent growth has been in the southern suburb of Sheidow Park.
The original inhabitants of the Marion area were the Kaurna Aboriginal people.
Regional labour force
The City of Marion labour force region is defined by an area in which a significant percentage of workers travelled into the City of Marion to work at the 2011 Census. Details of this calculation and a list of areas included can be found in the data notes.