Redland City CouncilEconomic profile

Have you noticed that pages have moved around? We've updated the structure of economic profile to make it easier to find what you need. Read the full list of changes

Skip to content

Name origin

Redland City is named after the district's red soil.

Location and boundaries

Redland City is located in south-east Queensland, about 26 kilometres south-east of the Brisbane CBD. Redland City is bounded by Moreton Bay and North Stradbroke Island in the north and east, Gold Coast and Logan Cities in the south, and Brisbane City in the west.

Included areas

Redland City includes the suburbs and localities of Alexandra Hills, Amity, Birkdale, Capalaba, Cleveland, Coochiemudlo Island, Dunwich, Karragarra Island, Lamb Island, Macleay Island, Mount Cotton, North Stradbroke Island, Ormiston, Peel Island, Point Lookout, Redland Bay, Russell Island, Sheldon, Thorneside, Thornlands, Victoria Point and Wellington Point.

Land use

Redland City is a vibrant growing community that comprises significant environmental, open space and rural areas complimented by a compact urban area. Redland City encompasses a total land area of about 537 square kilometres, including islands, coastal areas, bushland, national parks and waterways. The major retail and commercial centres are located at Cleveland and Capalaba. The southern areas of the City are more rural and rural-residential in nature.

Transport

Redland City is served by the Cleveland railway line and various ferries and water taxis.

Settlement history

European settlement dates from the 1820s, although permanent settlement was minimal until the 1850s. Land was initially used mainly for grazing, then for general farming, dairy farming, fishing and timber-getting. Growth took place from the 1880s into the early 1900s, aided by the construction of the Brisbane to Cleveland railway line in 1889. Significant residential development did not occur until the post-war years. Rapid growth took place from the early 1970s, aided by the construction of the Leslie Harrison Dam (Tingalpa Reservoir) in the late 1960s. The population of the City grew from about 5,000 in 1947 to under 17,000 in 1971, then to nearly 81,000 in 1991. Rapid growth continued from the 1990s, with the population reaching over 136,000 in 2011. Population growth is expected to continue.

Indigenous background

The original inhabitants of the Redland area were the Quandamooka Aboriginal people.

Regional labour force

Redland City labour force region is defined by an area in which a significant percentage of workers travelled into Redland City to work at the 2011 Census. Details of this calculation and a list of areas included can be found in the data notes.

v16.07.05-1.0.8