City of Wodonga
About the area
ABS ERP 2016
Wodonga is named from an Aboriginal word meaning 'bulrushes'. It was originally known as Belvoir.
Location and boundaries
The City of Wodonga is located in the Ovens-Murray Statistical Division of Victoria, on the New South Wales border, about 300 kilometres north-east of Melbourne. The City of Wodonga is bounded by the Murray River in the north, Towong Shire in the east and Indigo Shire in the south and west.
The City of Wodonga includes the suburbs and rural localities of Bandiana, Baranduda, Barnawartha North, Bonegilla, Castle Creek, Ebden, Gateway Island, Huon Creek, Killara, Leneva, Staghorn Flat (part), West Wodonga and Wodonga.
The City of Wodonga includes the main urban centre of Wodonga, as well as significant rural hinterland and substantial industrial areas. The City encompasses a total land area of 433 square kilometres. The majority of the population live in the urban areas. Rural land is used mainly for agriculture, including grazing and dairy farming.
The City of Wodonga is served by the Hume Freeway, the Kiewa Valley Highway, the Murray Valley Highway and the Sydney to Melbourne railway line.
European settlement dates from 1836, with land used mainly for grazing and farming. Growth was minimal until the 1850s when a town was established and Wodonga became an important river port for the Ovens goldfield. More substantial growth took place from the 1870s, aided by the construction of the railway line from Melbourne and the opening of pastoral runs for selection. Wodonga became a major stock selling centre, with a population of about 900 in 1901, increasing to over 3,000 in 1947. Significant development occurred in the post-war years, with the population more than doubling in the 1950s to reach nearly 8,000 in 1961. The most substantial development took place during the 1970s and 1980s, aided by designation as a national growth centre and the Albury Wodonga Development Corporation. The population doubled between the 1970s and 1990s, reaching about 27,000 in 1991. Growth continued from the 1990s, with the population reaching nearly 31,000 in 2001, and continued to increase to over 35,000 in 2011. The majority of the recent growth has been in the western and southern parts of Wodonga.
The original inhabitants of the Wodonga area were the Wiradjuri Aboriginal people.
Regional labour force
The City of Wodonga labour force region is defined by an area in which a significant percentage of workers travelled into the City of Wodonga to work at the 2011 Census. Details of this calculation and a list of areas included can be found in the data notes.