Adelaide Hills Council
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in Adelaide Hills Council than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Adelaide Hills Council's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Adelaide Hills Council or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Adelaide Hills Council, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Adelaide Hills Council - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||694||3.6||2.1||698||3.4||1.9||-4|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||2,148||11.0||10.9||2,209||10.9||10.9||-61|
|Architecture and Building||829||4.3||3.6||791||3.9||3.3||+38|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||598||3.1||1.9||568||2.8||1.7||+30|
|Management and Commerce||2,438||12.5||12.9||2,297||11.3||11.4||+141|
|Society and Culture||1,886||9.7||8.9||1,806||8.9||7.4||+80|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||529||2.7||3.6||547||2.7||3.4||-18|
|Mixed Field Programmes||11||0.1||0.1||8||0.0||0.1||+3|
|Not stated or inadequately described||492||2.5||2.5||528||2.6||3.3||-36|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Adelaide Hills Council shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (2,438 people or 12.5%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (2,148 people or 11.0%)
- Health (2,076 people or 10.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 6,662 people in total or 34.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 12.9% in Management and Commerce; 10.9% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 8.6% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Adelaide Hills Council and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (10.6% compared to 8.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (7.0% compared to 5.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Natural and Physical Sciences (3.6% compared to 2.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Creative Arts (3.2% compared to 2.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Adelaide Hills Council decreased by 789 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Adelaide Hills Council was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+141 resident workers)
- Creative Arts (+96 resident workers)
- Health (+84 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+80 resident workers)