41.4% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.8% in Greater Adelaide.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Greater Adelaide%||Number||%||Greater Adelaide%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,332||14.4||12.8||1,245||13.7||12.0||+87|
|16 hours - 24 hours||897||9.7||10.4||835||9.2||9.8||+62|
|25 hours - 34 hours||898||9.7||13.1||841||9.3||11.7||+57|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,817||19.6||21.7||1,650||18.2||21.0||+167|
|41 hours - 48 hours||875||9.4||9.2||951||10.5||10.3||-76|
|49 hours or more||1,422||15.3||11.9||1,578||17.4||13.1||-156|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers in 2016 compared to Greater Adelaide shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.0% and 58.5% respectively for Greater Adelaide.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Adelaide and Greater Adelaide were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (14.4% compared to 12.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.7% compared to 13.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.6% compared to 21.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (15.3% compared to 11.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide increased by 14 people (0.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+167 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-156 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+87 persons)
- 40 hours (+79 persons)