City of Adelaide
Resident workers - Hours worked
41.4% of the resident workers in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 27.1% in Administrative and Support Services.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services%||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,332||14.4||24.4||1,245||13.7||14.9||+87||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||897||9.7||14.7||835||9.2||12.5||+62||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||898||9.7||13.3||841||9.3||15.3||+57||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,817||19.6||17.8||1,650||18.2||15.3||+167||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||875||9.4||4.9||951||10.5||10.7||-76||22007|
|49 hours or more||1,422||15.3||11.6||1,578||17.4||8.5||-156||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers in 2016 compared to Administrative and Support Services shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.5% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 55.1% and 44.9% respectively for Administrative and Support Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Adelaide and Administrative and Support Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.6% compared to 10.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.4% compared to 4.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (14.4% compared to 24.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.7% compared to 14.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide increased by 14 people (0.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+167 people)
- 49 hours or more (-156 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+87 people)
- 40 hours (+79 people)