41.4% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.0% in Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Australia%||Number||%||Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,332||14.4||11.4||1,245||13.7||10.8||+87|
|16 hours - 24 hours||897||9.7||10.1||835||9.2||9.4||+62|
|25 hours - 34 hours||898||9.7||11.2||841||9.3||10.2||+57|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,817||19.6||19.0||1,650||18.2||18.0||+167|
|41 hours - 48 hours||875||9.4||9.3||951||10.5||10.3||-76|
|49 hours or more||1,422||15.3||15.1||1,578||17.4||16.7||-156|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers in 2016 compared to Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.1% and 62.0% respectively for Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Adelaide and Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (14.4% compared to 11.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.7% compared to 11.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.6% compared to 19.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.6% compared to 18.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide increased by 14 people (0.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+167 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-156 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+87 persons)
- 40 hours (+79 persons)