City of Adelaide
Resident workers - Hours worked
68.5% of the resident workers (Mining) in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 74.0% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||0||0.0||2.2||0||0.0||2.2||0||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6||6.5||3.0||3||2.6||2.7||+3||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||3||3.3||3.0||0||0.0||2.7||+3||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||12||13.0||9.2||20||17.4||7.4||-8||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10||10.9||12.9||10||8.7||14.1||0||22007|
|49 hours or more||28||30.4||48.7||45||39.1||50.4||-17||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers (Mining) in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 18.5% of the resident workers (Mining) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 81.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 15.6% and 83.2% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Mining) of the City of Adelaide and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 40 hours (27.2% compared to 12.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (13.0% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 16 hours - 24 hours (6.5% compared to 3.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 49 hours or more (30.4% compared to 48.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Mining) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide decreased by 34 people (31.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Mining) in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-17 people)
- 40 hours (-9 people)
- None (+8 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-8 people)