52.1% of the resident workers (Construction) in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 57.4% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide - Construction||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||46||15.0||6.5||20||6.4||5.5||+26|
|16 hours - 24 hours||25||8.1||5.7||20||6.4||5.9||+5|
|25 hours - 34 hours||27||8.8||9.3||16||5.1||8.8||+11|
|35 hours - 39 hours||34||11.1||17.0||43||13.8||15.2||-9|
|41 hours - 48 hours||27||8.8||12.3||35||11.3||12.3||-8|
|49 hours or more||64||20.8||19.8||88||28.3||20.8||-24|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.8% of the resident workers in Construction worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 63.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 24.4% and 74.4% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) of the City of Adelaide and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (15.0% compared to 6.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (11.1% compared to 17.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.5% compared to 25.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.8% compared to 12.3%)
The number of the resident workers (Construction) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide decreased by 45 people (-18.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+26 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-24 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+11 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-9 persons)