City of Adelaide
Resident workers - Hours worked
48.8% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 51.7% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||19||9.1||6.3||18||7.9||6.5||+1||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||9||4.3||5.6||23||10.1||6.5||-14||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||19||9.1||7.8||13||5.7||8.0||+6||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||49||23.4||25.3||48||21.1||22.7||+1||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||31||14.8||13.7||29||12.8||14.1||+2||22007|
|49 hours or more||21||10.0||15.5||42||18.5||17.2||-21||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 27.8% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 72.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 22.3% and 77.0% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of the City of Adelaide and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 1 hour - 15 hours (9.1% compared to 6.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked None (5.3% compared to 2.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 49 hours or more (10.0% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (23.4% compared to 25.3%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide decreased by 10 people (6.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-21 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-14 people)
- 40 hours (+8 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+6 people)