City of Adelaide
Resident workers - Hours worked
27.6% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 25.1% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||147||18.8||24.1||176||22.1||23.6||-29||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||110||14.1||13.6||103||12.9||12.9||+7||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||94||12.0||15.6||99||12.4||14.2||-5||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||160||20.5||17.2||127||15.9||16.4||+33||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||45||5.8||7.4||67||8.4||8.1||-22||22007|
|49 hours or more||73||9.3||8.4||96||12.0||9.9||-23||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers (Retail Trade) in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 49.6% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 48.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 56.7% and 42.3% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of the City of Adelaide and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 40 hours (12.5% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.5% compared to 17.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 1 hour - 15 hours (18.8% compared to 24.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.0% compared to 15.6%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Retail Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide increased by 11 people (3.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+33 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (-29 people)
- 40 hours (+23 people)
- 49 hours or more (-23 people)