46.2% of the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 48.8% in Wholesale Trade.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide - Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||31||18.1||9.1||27||17.3||7.9||+4|
|16 hours - 24 hours||23||13.5||4.3||12||7.7||10.1||+11|
|25 hours - 34 hours||19||11.1||9.1||9||5.8||5.7||+10|
|35 hours - 39 hours||19||11.1||23.4||30||19.2||21.1||-11|
|41 hours - 48 hours||29||17.0||14.8||13||8.3||12.8||+16|
|49 hours or more||32||18.7||10.0||41||26.3||18.5||-9|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers in 2016 compared to Wholesale Trade shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 42.7% of the resident workers in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 57.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 27.8% and 72.2% respectively for Wholesale Trade.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) of the City of Adelaide and the Wholesale Trade workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (18.1% compared to 9.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (13.5% compared to 4.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (11.1% compared to 23.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (10.5% compared to 23.9%)
The number of the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide decreased by 6 people (-5.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 41 hours - 48 hours (+16 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+11 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-11 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+10 persons)