46.9% of the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.0% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide - Public Administration and Safety||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||29||3.8||3.9||22||3.1||3.9||+7|
|16 hours - 24 hours||27||3.6||6.6||28||3.9||6.2||-1|
|25 hours - 34 hours||45||6.0||9.1||53||7.5||8.2||-8|
|35 hours - 39 hours||265||35.1||32.5||216||30.4||31.9||+49|
|41 hours - 48 hours||94||12.5||11.6||99||13.9||12.7||-5|
|49 hours or more||115||15.2||8.9||104||14.6||9.5||+11|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 18.0% of the resident workers in Public Administration and Safety worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 82.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 24.8% and 74.5% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) of the City of Adelaide and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (3.6% compared to 6.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (6.0% compared to 9.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (35.1% compared to 32.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (15.2% compared to 8.9%)
The number of the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide increased by 53 people (9.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+49 persons)
- 49 hours or more (+11 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (-8 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+7 persons)