City of Adelaide
Resident workers - Hours worked
41.4% of the resident workers in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 40.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,332||14.4||9.8||1,245||13.7||9.8||+87||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||897||9.7||9.1||835||9.2||9.6||+62||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||898||9.7||13.2||841||9.3||13.5||+57||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,817||19.6||22.6||1,650||18.2||20.8||+167||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||875||9.4||8.9||951||10.5||9.8||-76||22007|
|49 hours or more||1,422||15.3||16.5||1,578||17.4||17.2||-156||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's resident workers in 2016 compared to Health Care and Social Assistance shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.5% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.4% and 62.8% respectively for Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Adelaide and Health Care and Social Assistance were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (14.4% compared to 9.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.6% compared to 14.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.7% compared to 13.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.6% compared to 22.6%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide increased by 14 people (0.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+167 people)
- 49 hours or more (-156 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+87 people)
- 40 hours (+79 people)