City of Adelaide
Resident workers - Hours worked
48.8% of the male resident workers in the City of Adelaide work 40 or more hours, compared to 51.0% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Adelaide's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Adelaide depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Adelaide - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||571||11.8||8.6||538||11.1||7.5||+33||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||364||7.5||5.9||366||7.6||5.3||-2||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||393||8.1||8.3||362||7.5||7.2||+31||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||917||18.9||21.4||821||17.0||20.0||+96||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||517||10.7||12.2||557||11.5||13.4||-40||22007|
|49 hours or more||947||19.6||18.8||1,085||22.4||20.9||-138||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Adelaide's male resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 30.6% of the male resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 67.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 25.8% and 72.4% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the male resident workers of the City of Adelaide and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.8% compared to 8.6%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (7.5% compared to 5.9%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (18.9% compared to 21.4%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (10.7% compared to 12.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the male resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Adelaide decreased by 34 people (1.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the male resident workers in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-138 males)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+96 males)
- 40 hours (+48 males)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-40 males)