Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
- Excel full
- Word full
|Local sales by industry sector|
|City of Adelaide - Constant prices||2019/20||2012/13||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||South Australia||$m||%||South Australia||2012/13 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||25.8||0.1||2.1||28.8||0.2||3.4||-3.0|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||817.8||4.4||3.7||908.2||5.3||4.3||-90.4|
|Accommodation and Food Services||259.0||1.4||2.7||140.4||0.8||3.0||+118.7|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||523.5||2.8||3.9||462.4||2.7||4.4||+61.1|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,290.0||6.9||2.5||647.1||3.8||1.7||+642.9|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,472.3||13.2||5.7||2,245.4||13.1||6.3||+226.9|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||3,514.4||18.7||10.7||3,233.5||18.9||11.0||+280.8|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,902.9||15.5||6.8||2,156.0||12.6||5.8||+746.9|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,108.4||5.9||3.5||959.2||5.6||3.7||+149.2|
|Public Administration and Safety||540.7||2.9||3.9||383.2||2.2||4.0||+157.4|
|Education and Training||155.4||0.8||4.2||135.2||0.8||4.4||+20.2|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||353.9||1.9||7.4||138.5||0.8||5.6||+215.4|
|Arts and Recreation Services||201.4||1.1||0.9||105.5||0.6||0.7||+95.9|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions) NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id (informed decisions). Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in the City of Adelaide in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($3,514million or 18.7%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services ($2,903million or 15.5%)
- Construction ($2,568million or 13.7%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $8,985 million in total or 47.9% of the total local sales by total industry in the the City of Adelaide.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in South Australia accounted for 10.7% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services; 6.8% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services and 22.9% in Construction.
The major differences between local sales by industries of the City of Adelaide and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Construction (13.7% compared to 22.9%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (15.5% compared to 6.8%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (18.7% compared to 10.7%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Financial and Insurance Services (13.2% compared to 5.7%)
The total local sales by industry in the City of Adelaide $increased by 1,607 million between 2012/13 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2012/13 and 2019/20 in the City of Adelaide were for:
- Construction (-$1,044 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$747 million)
- Information Media and Telecommunications (+$643 million)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+$281 million)