In the City of Adelaide, Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services had the highest local sales, generating $3,707 million in 2018/19.
Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Local sales by industry sector|
|City of Adelaide - Constant prices||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||South Australia||$m||%||South Australia||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||42.7||0.2||2.7||58.1||0.4||3.4||-15.4|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||837.2||4.7||3.9||862.1||5.3||4.0||-25.0|
|Accommodation and Food Services||322.2||1.8||3.0||171.3||1.1||2.9||+151.0|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||378.2||2.1||3.5||416.9||2.6||4.5||-38.6|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,086.8||6.1||2.6||822.7||5.1||2.2||+264.0|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,406.4||13.6||5.7||2,120.6||13.1||6.1||+285.8|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||3,706.7||20.9||12.7||3,305.3||20.4||11.8||+401.3|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,638.6||14.9||6.6||1,989.5||12.3||5.6||+649.1|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,000.7||5.6||3.5||933.4||5.8||3.8||+67.3|
|Public Administration and Safety||289.8||1.6||3.3||276.7||1.7||3.8||+13.0|
|Education and Training||103.7||0.6||4.0||99.3||0.6||4.0||+4.4|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||285.1||1.6||7.1||137.6||0.9||5.5||+147.5|
|Arts and Recreation Services||139.0||0.8||0.7||100.9||0.6||0.7||+38.0|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id the population experts. Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in the City of Adelaide in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($3,707million or 20.9%)
- Construction ($2,857million or 16.1%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services ($2,639million or 14.9%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $9,203 million in total or 51.8% of the total local sales by total industry in the the City of Adelaide.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in South Australia accounted for 12.7% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services; 22.8% in Construction and 6.6% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between local sales by industries of the City of Adelaide and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local sales by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (14.9% compared to 6.6%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (20.9% compared to 12.7%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Financial and Insurance Services (13.6% compared to 5.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Construction (16.1% compared to 22.8%)
The total local sales by industry in the City of Adelaide $increased by 1,589 million between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the City of Adelaide were for:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$649 million)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+$401 million)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+$286 million)
- Information Media and Telecommunications (+$264 million)