34.0% of All industries local workers in the City of Adelaide are employed part-time and 64.7% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the City of Adelaide across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|City of Adelaide - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||10,673||9.1||7.2||9,695||8.4||7.4||+978|
|16 hours - 24 hours||10,939||9.3||13.5||10,326||9.0||13.4||+613|
|25 hours - 34 hours||13,626||11.6||18.3||12,187||10.6||16.7||+1,439|
|35 hours - 39 hours||30,806||26.2||26.3||29,699||25.8||26.2||+1,107|
|41 hours - 48 hours||11,008||9.4||6.3||12,368||10.7||7.3||-1,360|
|49 hours or more||13,076||11.1||8.0||13,561||11.8||8.6||-485|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Adelaide in 2016 compared to the Health Care and Social Assistance workforce within the City of Adelaide shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 34.0% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 64.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 44.6% and 54.7% respectively for the Health Care and Social Assistance workforce within the City of Adelaide.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Adelaide and the Health Care and Social Assistance workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.3% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.6% compared to 18.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (18.0% compared to 14.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (11.1% compared to 8.0%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,439 local workers)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-1,360 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,107 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+978 local workers)