City of Adelaide
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In the City of Adelaide, the workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to South Australia.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Adelaide - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||53,568||45.6||25.9||47,241||41.0||22.1||+6,327|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||14,286||12.1||10.6||13,470||11.7||9.4||+816|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,374||1.2||1.5||1,546||1.3||1.6||-172|
|Certificate III & IV Level||13,997||11.9||21.4||12,986||11.3||20.0||+1,011|
|Certificate Level, nfd||2,231||1.9||2.2||2,248||1.9||1.9||-17|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,480||2.1||2.7||3,802||3.3||3.9||-1,322|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Adelaide in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 72.7% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 25.2% had no qualifications, compared with 61.5% and 35.8% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Adelaide and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (45.6% compared to 25.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (25.2% compared to 35.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (11.9% compared to 21.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.1% compared to 10.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Adelaide between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+6,327 local workers)
- No qualification (-4,353 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,011 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+816 local workers)