Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Albany - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||2,843||19.2||27.4||2,302||16.7||23.2||+541|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||1,730||11.7||10.8||1,440||10.5||9.8||+290|
|Certificate I and II Level||321||2.2||1.4||279||2.0||1.4||+42|
|Certificate III & IV Level||3,762||25.4||21.9||3,131||22.7||21.1||+631|
|Certificate Level, nfd||373||2.5||2.1||327||2.4||1.7||+46|
|Inadequately described or not stated||461||3.1||2.8||579||4.2||4.0||-118|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Albany in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 60.9% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 35.9% had no qualifications, compared with 63.6% and 33.6% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Albany and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (19.2% compared to 27.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (25.4% compared to 21.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (35.9% compared to 33.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.7% compared to 10.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Albany between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Certificate III & IV Level (+631 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+541 local workers)
- No qualification (-385 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+290 local workers)