In the City of Albany, 17.7% of workers were Professionals, compared to 46.7% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Albany will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Albany;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Albany - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Transport, Postal and Warehousing||Number||%||Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,093||14.1||7.2||1,976||14.4||5.5||+117|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,071||14.0||1.8||1,734||12.6||2.0||+337|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,801||12.2||17.6||1,822||13.2||21.1||-21|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||839||5.7||46.7||788||5.7||46.0||+51|
|Inadequately described or not stated||229||1.5||0.9||170||1.2||1.8||+59|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Albany in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (2,619 local workers or 17.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,093 local workers or 14.1%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (2,071 local workers or 14.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,783 people in total or 45.8% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, the Transport, Postal and Warehousing workforce in the City of Albany employed 5.9% as Professionals; 7.2% as Technicians and Trades Workers and 1.8% as Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Albany and Transport, Postal and Warehousing were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (5.7% compared to 46.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.0% compared to 1.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (17.7% compared to 5.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (11.0% compared to 3.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Albany between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+337 local workers)
- Professionals (+238 local workers)
- Labourers (+207 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+117 local workers)