About the area
ABS ERP 2017
Health Care and Social Assistance
Location and boundaries
Albury City is located in the Murray Statistical Division of New South Wales, just north of the Victorian border, about 310 kilometres north-east of Melbourne and 570 kilometres south-west of Sydney. Albury City is bounded by Greater Hume Shire in the north, east and west and the Murray River in the south.
Albury City includes the suburbs and localities of Albury, East Albury, Ettamogah, Glenroy, Hamilton Valley, Lake Hume Village, Lavington, North Albury, South Albury, Splitters Creek, Springdale Heights, Table Top (part), Thurgoona, West Albury and Wirlinga.
Albury City includes the main urban centre of Albury, as well as substantial industrial, commercial, recreational and parkland areas and significant rural hinterland. The City encompasses a total land area of about 332 square kilometres. The majority of the population lives in the central and southern suburbs of Albury, Lavington, North Albury, South Albury, Springdale Heights and Thurgoona. The rural land is used for mixed agricultural purposes.
Albury is ideally located logistically, connected to Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne by the Hume Freeway and directly linked regionally via the Kiewa Valley Highway, the Murray Valley Highway and the Riverina Highway. The Sydney to Melbourne railway line runs through Albury and regular flights from Albury Airport, some five minutes from the CBD, connect the city to Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and the Latrobe Valley.
European settlement dates from 1835. The land was used mainly for farming and grazing, with a small village established in the 1840's. Growth was minimal until the 1850's, when Albury became a vital river port for paddle-steamers. More substantial growth took place from the late 1870's, the catalyst being the opening of the railway line from Sydney. The most significant development occurred in the post-war years, with the population increasing from about 15,000 in 1946 to about 37,000 in 1981. Substantial growth took place during the 1970's and 1980's, when Albury-Wodonga was designated as a national growth centre and the Albury Wodonga Development Corporation was established. The population of the City increased from nearly 43,000 in 1991 to over 44,000 in 1996, and then remained relatively stable between 1996 and 2001. The population increased from 2001, rising to nearly 48,000 in 2011. Much of the recent growth has been in Thurgoona, Hamilton Valley and East Albury.
The original inhabitants of the Albury area were the Wiradjuri Aboriginal people.