Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Alpine Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||921||19.9||33.3||776||16.5||28.6||+145|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||525||11.4||11.5||414||8.8||10.4||+111|
|Certificate I and II Level||70||1.5||1.0||81||1.7||1.1||-11|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,124||24.3||18.1||1,149||24.4||17.9||-25|
|Certificate Level, nfd||113||2.4||1.8||93||2.0||1.5||+20|
|Inadequately described or not stated||162||3.5||2.8||220||4.7||4.0||-58|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Alpine Shire in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 59.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 36.9% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Alpine Shire and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (19.9% compared to 33.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.3% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (36.9% compared to 31.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (3.5% compared to 2.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Alpine Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-276 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+145 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+111 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (-25 local workers)