Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Ballarat's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Ballarat depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Ballarat - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,771||12.8||11.7||6,243||14.0||12.0||+528|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,862||11.0||10.8||4,842||10.8||10.5||+1,020|
|25 hours - 34 hours||7,073||13.3||11.6||5,595||12.5||11.2||+1,478|
|35 hours - 39 hours||10,680||20.1||20.8||8,171||18.3||18.7||+2,509|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,671||8.8||8.0||4,218||9.4||9.2||+453|
|49 hours or more||5,715||10.8||11.1||5,659||12.7||13.7||+56|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Ballarat's resident workers in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 42.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 55.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 39.1% and 59.2% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Ballarat and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.8% compared to 11.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.3% compared to 11.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.3% compared to 19.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.8% compared to 8.0%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Ballarat increased by 4231 people (16.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Ballarat between2016 and 2021 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,509 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,478 persons)
- 40 hours (+1,213 persons)
- None (+1,202 persons)