Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the Balonne Shire, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Queensland.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local worers in Balonne Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Balonne Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 – by place of work
Please note: Currently only 2016 data are available for work destination. 2011 data are not comparable due to a change in methodology in 2016 which “imputed” a work destination to those workers who didn’t state their work destination. This means comparisons with earlier years should not be made. .id are currently sourcing data collected under the same methodology in 2011 which will be added to this page at a later date. For a detailed case study of this issue please visit our blog post.
|Local workers occupations|
|Balonne Shire - All industries||2016|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland %|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||208||9.8||14.2||0||--||--||+208||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||197||9.3||11.4||0||--||--||+197||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||218||10.3||13.7||0||--||--||+218||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||170||8.0||6.9||0||--||--||+170||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||31||1.5||1.6||0||--||--||+31||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id, the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the in Balonne Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (542 local workers or 25.6%)
- Labourers (332 local workers or 15.7%)
- Professionals (266 local workers or 12.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,140 people in total or 53.8% of the local workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 12.1% as Managers; 10.6% as Labourers; and 19.9% as Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the in the Balonne Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (25.6% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (15.7% compared to 10.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (12.5% compared to 19.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.8% compared to 14.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in the Balonne Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Managers (+542 local workers)
- Labourers (+332 local workers)
- Professionals (+266 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+218 local workers)