Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Banyule residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Banyule, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Banyule are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Banyule - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||195||0.3||2.1||178||0.3||2.2||+17|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||638||1.0||1.1||555||0.9||1.1||+83|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,059||4.8||6.2||2,917||5.0||6.6||+142|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,146||3.4||4.7||2,098||3.6||4.8||+48|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,175||1.8||1.6||1,321||2.2||1.9||-146|
|Financial and Insurance Services||3,121||4.9||4.1||2,681||4.6||3.9||+440|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||936||1.5||1.5||955||1.6||1.6||-19|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||6,774||10.6||8.4||5,745||9.8||7.9||+1,029|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,664||2.6||3.1||1,781||3.0||3.4||-117|
|Public Administration and Safety||4,847||7.6||5.6||4,174||7.1||5.3||+673|
|Education and Training||7,142||11.2||8.8||6,684||11.3||8.6||+458|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||10,480||16.4||14.1||8,868||15.1||12.5||+1,612|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,213||1.9||1.7||1,275||2.2||1.9||-62|
|Industry not classified||2,293||3.6||4.6||2,229||3.8||4.7||+64|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Banyule in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (10,480 people or 16.4%)
- Education and Training (7,142 people or 11.2%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (6,774 people or 10.6%)
In combination these three industries employed 24,396 people in total or 38.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 14.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.8% in Education and Training and 8.4% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Banyule and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (11.2% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (16.4% compared to 14.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (10.6% compared to 8.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (7.6% compared to 5.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Banyule were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,612 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,029 resident workforce)
- Construction (+962 resident workforce)
- Public Administration and Safety (+673 resident workforce)