Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Local sales by industry sector|
|City of Banyule - Constant prices||2020/21||2015/16||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||Victoria||$m||%||Victoria||2015/16 - 2020/21|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||20.9||0.3||2.1||23.0||0.3||2.0||-2.1|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||41.6||0.6||3.0||62.9||0.9||3.4||-21.2|
|Accommodation and Food Services||186.8||2.6||2.2||208.9||3.0||2.5||-22.0|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||257.6||3.5||4.3||168.0||2.4||4.7||+89.7|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||125.3||1.7||3.0||93.0||1.3||2.4||+32.3|
|Financial and Insurance Services||292.3||4.0||6.9||267.7||3.8||6.4||+24.5|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||630.8||8.6||11.7||834.4||11.8||13.2||-203.6|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||574.3||7.9||8.8||513.1||7.3||8.0||+61.3|
|Administrative and Support Services||255.1||3.5||3.7||272.4||3.9||3.9||-17.3|
|Public Administration and Safety||514.0||7.0||4.1||455.7||6.4||3.7||+58.3|
|Education and Training||443.4||6.1||4.0||394.3||5.6||3.9||+49.0|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,054.5||14.4||6.6||836.8||11.8||6.0||+217.6|
|Arts and Recreation Services||93.7||1.3||1.2||106.8||1.5||1.2||-13.1|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions) NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id (informed decisions). Data are based on a 2017-18 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in the City of Banyule in 2020/21 shows the three largest industries were:
- Construction ($1,439million or 19.7%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance ($1,054million or 14.4%)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($631million or 8.6%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $3,125 million in total or 42.7% of the total local sales by total industry in the the City of Banyule.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in Victoria accounted for 21.0% in Construction; 6.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 11.7% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
The major differences between local sales by industries of the City of Banyule and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local sales by Health Care and Social Assistance (14.4% compared to 6.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (8.6% compared to 11.7%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Public Administration and Safety (7.0% compared to 4.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Financial and Insurance Services (4.0% compared to 6.9%)
The total local sales by industry in the City of Banyule $increased by 242 million between 2015/16 and 2020/21.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2015/16 and 2020/21 in the City of Banyule were for:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+$218 million)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (-$204 million)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+$90 million)
- Construction (+$83 million)