In the City of Banyule, the workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to Victoria.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Banyule - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||15,726||39.0||33.3||13,173||34.0||28.6||+2,553|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||4,580||11.3||11.5||4,099||10.6||10.4||+481|
|Certificate I and II Level||355||0.9||1.0||386||1.0||1.1||-31|
|Certificate III & IV Level||6,625||16.4||18.1||6,189||16.0||17.9||+436|
|Certificate Level, nfd||705||1.7||1.8||628||1.6||1.5||+77|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,050||2.6||2.8||1,519||3.9||4.0||-469|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Banyule in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 69.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 28.0% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Banyule and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (39.0% compared to 33.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (28.0% compared to 31.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (16.4% compared to 18.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (2.6% compared to 2.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Banyule between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+2,553 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,398 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+481 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+436 local workers)