City of Bayside
About the area
ABS ERP 2017
Health Care and Social Assistance
Location and boundaries
The City of Bayside is located in Melbourne's middle-southern suburbs, between 8 and 20 kilometres south of the Melbourne CBD. The City of Bayside is bounded by the City of Port Phillip and the City of Glen Eira in the north, the City of Kingston in the east, and the Port Phillip Bay foreshore in the south and west. The City of Bayside's boundaries are Head Street, St Kilda Street and Glen Huntly Road in the north, and the Nepean Highway, North Road, Thomas Street, the Frankston railway line and Charman Road in the east.
The City of Bayside encompasses the suburbs of Beaumaris, Black Rock, Brighton, Brighton East, Cheltenham (part), Hampton, Hampton East, Highett (part) and Sandringham.
The City of Bayside is predominantly a residential area, with some small commercial and industrial areas. The City encompasses a total land area of about 37 square kilometres.
The City of Bayside is served by the Nepean Highway and the Sandringham and Frankston railway lines.
European settlement dates from 1841 when Henry Dendy purchased his 'special survey' area from the government. The special survey area covered modern day Brighton, Brighton East, Bentleigh and McKinnon. The Brighton area was subdivided and sold in the 1850s, with growth from the 1860s, spurred by the opening of railway lines. Development of areas further south along the coastline followed in the late 1800s, aided by improved access. Substantial growth took place during the interwar and post-war periods, with areas furthest from the railway line such as Brighton East and Beaumaris characterised by post-war housing development. The population of the City increased gradually from the 1990s.
The original inhabitants of the City of Bayside were the Boon wurrung Aboriginal people.