Bayside Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
42.8% of the resident workers in the Bayside Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 58.0% in Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Bayside Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Bayside Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bayside Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services%||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,701||8.8||2.5||5,243||8.3||1.7||+1,458||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||9,067||12.0||4.2||6,614||10.4||5.2||+2,453||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||7,230||9.5||4.4||5,880||9.3||3.8||+1,350||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||16,431||21.7||26.8||13,706||21.6||25.7||+2,725||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,539||8.6||9.9||5,846||9.2||15.3||+693||22007|
|49 hours or more||9,156||12.1||21.0||8,235||13.0||16.0||+921||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Bayside Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 64.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 14.3% and 84.8% respectively for Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Bayside Council area and Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (12.0% compared to 4.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (8.8% compared to 2.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.5% compared to 4.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (12.1% compared to 21.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Bayside Council area increased by 7,202 people (17.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Bayside Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+2,863 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,725 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+2,453 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,458 people)