Bayside Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
42.8% of the resident workers in the Bayside Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 33.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Bayside Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Bayside Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bayside Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,701||8.8||8.4||5,243||8.3||8.6||+1,458||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||9,067||12.0||15.4||6,614||10.4||14.7||+2,453||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||7,230||9.5||14.9||5,880||9.3||13.9||+1,350||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||16,431||21.7||23.6||13,706||21.6||21.6||+2,725||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,539||8.6||5.2||5,846||9.2||6.0||+693||22007|
|49 hours or more||9,156||12.1||7.2||8,235||13.0||7.9||+921||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Bayside Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Health Care and Social Assistance shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 64.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.4% and 56.6% respectively for Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Bayside Council area and Health Care and Social Assistance were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (12.1% compared to 7.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.6% compared to 5.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.5% compared to 14.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (12.0% compared to 15.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Bayside Council area increased by 7,202 people (17.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Bayside Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+2,863 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,725 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+2,453 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,458 people)