Bayside Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
51.6% of the male resident workers in the Bayside Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 55.8% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Bayside Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Bayside Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bayside Council area - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,593||6.4||7.3||1,979||5.8||6.6||+614||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||3,761||9.3||6.6||2,739||8.0||5.7||+1,022||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,803||6.9||6.8||2,306||6.7||6.2||+497||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,476||21.0||19.0||7,122||20.8||17.8||+1,354||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,132||10.2||11.4||3,765||11.0||12.5||+367||22007|
|49 hours or more||6,596||16.3||20.8||5,962||17.4||23.1||+634||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Bayside Council area's male resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 24.8% of the male resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 72.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 23.1% and 74.7% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the male resident workers of the Bayside Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.3% compared to 6.6%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.0% compared to 19.0%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers worked 40 hours (25.1% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 49 hours or more (16.3% compared to 20.8%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the male resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Bayside Council area increased by 4,090 people (16.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the male resident workers in the Bayside Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+1,735 males)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,354 males)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,022 males)
- 49 hours or more (+634 males)