Bayside Council area
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Bayside Council area’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Bayside Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Bayside Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Bayside Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Bayside Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||90||0.1||2.1||35||0.1||2.2||+55||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||446||0.6||0.9||411||0.6||1.1||+35||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||6,895||9.1||7.1||5,229||8.3||6.7||+1,666||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||6,496||8.6||4.7||6,087||9.6||4.9||+409||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,707||2.3||2.2||1,557||2.5||2.3||+150||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||4,600||6.1||4.9||3,947||6.2||5.0||+653||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,425||1.9||1.8||1,136||1.8||1.6||+289||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||6,474||8.5||8.1||4,752||7.5||7.9||+1,722||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||3,566||4.7||3.5||2,699||4.3||3.3||+867||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||4,247||5.6||6.0||3,677||5.8||6.1||+570||39000||P|
|Education and Training||5,014||6.6||8.4||3,784||6.0||7.9||+1,230||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||8,258||10.9||12.5||6,756||10.7||11.6||+1,502||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,197||1.6||1.5||1,019||1.6||1.5||+178||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||3,921||5.2||4.7||1,918||3.0||2.5||+2,003||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window)(informed decisions).
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Bayside Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (8,258 people or 10.9%)
- Retail Trade (7,477 people or 9.9%)
- Accommodation and Food Services (6,895 people or 9.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 22,630 people in total or 29.9% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade; and 7.1% in Accommodation and Food Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Bayside Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (8.6% compared to 4.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (9.1% compared to 7.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.1% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (6.6% compared to 8.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Bayside Council area were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+2,003 resident workforce)
- Construction (+1,755 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,722 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+1,666 resident workforce)