Bega Valley Shire
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Management and Commerce in Bega Valley Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Bega Valley Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Bega Valley Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Bega Valley Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||6||2.4||2.8||3||0.8||2.4||+3||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||38||15.1||13.9||58||15.9||12.9||-20||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||8||3.2||1.7||6||1.6||1.7||+2||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||13||5.2||1.6||30||8.2||1.5||-17||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||39||15.5||25.0||30||8.2||21.4||+9||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||10||4.0||4.3||9||2.5||3.6||+1||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||16||6.4||2.5||19||5.2||2.8||-3||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0.0||0.1||0||0.0||0.0||0||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||5||2.0||2.1||14||3.8||3.3||-9||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Bega Valley Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (39 people or 15.5%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (38 people or 15.1%)
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (16 people or 6.4%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 93 people in total or 37.0% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 25.0% in Management and Commerce; 13.9% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 2.5% in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (6.4% compared to 2.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (5.2% compared to 1.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Management and Commerce (15.5% compared to 25.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Information Technology (0.0% compared to 4.3%)
The number of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Bega Valley Shire decreased by 113 between 2011 and 2016.
There were no major changes in field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) between 2011 and 2016 in Bega Valley Shire.