Bega Valley Shire
Resident workers - Hours worked
35.7% of the resident workers in Bega Valley Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Bega Valley Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Bega Valley Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,887||14.3||10.8||1,887||14.5||10.4||0||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,494||11.4||10.4||1,530||11.7||9.7||-36||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,917||14.6||10.5||1,695||13.0||9.8||+222||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||2,268||17.2||19.1||2,027||15.5||18.2||+241||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,032||7.8||9.1||1,087||8.3||10.0||-55||22007|
|49 hours or more||1,794||13.6||14.9||1,972||15.1||16.4||-178||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Bega Valley Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 45.0% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 52.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (14.6% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (14.3% compared to 10.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.2% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.2% compared to 19.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Bega Valley Shire decreased by 40 people (0.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+241 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+222 people)
- 49 hours or more (-178 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-55 people)