Bega Valley Shire
Resident workers - Hours worked
38.7% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Bega Valley Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 33.3% in Financial and Insurance Services.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Bega Valley Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Bega Valley Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services%||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||19||7.7||7.0||41||11.1||11.3||-22||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||27||10.9||14.6||30||8.2||11.8||-3||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||31||12.5||16.4||37||10.1||17.7||-6||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||68||27.4||20.5||67||18.2||18.2||+1||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||33||13.3||5.8||42||11.4||9.4||-9||22007|
|49 hours or more||27||10.9||9.9||76||20.7||11.8||-49||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Bega Valley Shire's resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in 2016 compared to Financial and Insurance Services shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.7% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 66.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 44.4% and 53.8% respectively for Financial and Insurance Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of Bega Valley Shire and Financial and Insurance Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (13.3% compared to 5.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (27.4% compared to 20.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked None (1.6% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.5% compared to 16.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Bega Valley Shire decreased by 86 people (34.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-49 people)
- 40 hours (-29 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (-22 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-9 people)