Bega Valley Shire
Resident workers - Hours worked
50.2% of the resident workers (Manufacturing) in Bega Valley Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 52.9% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Bega Valley Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Bega Valley Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||68||6.3||5.3||75||6.2||4.7||-7||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||77||7.2||5.8||91||7.5||5.2||-14||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||76||7.1||6.4||81||6.7||5.7||-5||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||256||23.9||26.4||251||20.7||25.0||+5||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||153||14.3||12.8||161||13.3||13.6||-8||22007|
|49 hours or more||149||13.9||16.4||162||13.3||17.8||-13||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Bega Valley Shire's resident workers (Manufacturing) in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 24.9% of the resident workers (Manufacturing) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 74.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 19.8% and 79.3% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Manufacturing) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked None (4.3% compared to 2.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (23.9% compared to 26.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 49 hours or more (13.9% compared to 16.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 40 hours (22.0% compared to 23.8%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Manufacturing) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Bega Valley Shire decreased by 113 people (12.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Manufacturing) in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-97 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-14 people)
- 49 hours or more (-13 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-8 people)