Bega Valley Shire
Resident workers - Hours worked
56.2% of the resident workers (Construction) in Bega Valley Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 62.4% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Bega Valley Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Bega Valley Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||90||7.5||5.5||83||7.2||5.4||+7||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||79||6.5||6.6||83||7.2||6.1||-4||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||119||9.9||7.6||119||10.4||7.4||0||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||186||15.4||14.2||148||12.9||12.3||+38||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||127||10.5||11.5||127||11.1||11.8||0||22007|
|49 hours or more||201||16.7||22.2||220||19.2||23.8||-19||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Bega Valley Shire's resident workers (Construction) in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 27.5% of the resident workers (Construction) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 71.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 21.9% and 76.6% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.9% compared to 7.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 1 hour - 15 hours (7.5% compared to 5.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked None (3.6% compared to 2.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 49 hours or more (16.7% compared to 22.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Construction) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Bega Valley Shire increased by 72 people (9.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+53 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+38 people)
- 49 hours or more (-19 people)
- Not stated (-19 people)