38.7% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Bega Valley Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 56.7% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Bega Valley Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Bega Valley Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bega Valley Shire - Wholesale Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||19||7.7||4.8||41||11.1||5.2||-22|
|16 hours - 24 hours||27||10.9||6.0||30||8.2||6.2||-3|
|25 hours - 34 hours||31||12.5||6.4||37||10.1||6.5||-6|
|35 hours - 39 hours||68||27.4||23.4||67||18.2||20.6||+1|
|41 hours - 48 hours||33||13.3||12.4||42||11.4||12.6||-9|
|49 hours or more||27||10.9||17.9||76||20.7||19.8||-49|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Bega Valley Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.7% of the resident workers in Wholesale Trade worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 66.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 19.3% and 80.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (10.9% compared to 6.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.5% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.5% compared to 26.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (10.9% compared to 17.9%)
The number of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Bega Valley Shire decreased by 86 people (-34.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-49 persons)
- 40 hours (-29 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (-22 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-9 persons)