Bega Valley Shire
Resident workers - Hours worked
24.5% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Bega Valley Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 29.6% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Bega Valley Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Bega Valley Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||332||21.8||19.9||336||20.9||20.1||-4||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||226||14.8||14.9||221||13.8||13.8||+5||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||260||17.1||13.2||203||12.6||12.2||+57||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||247||16.2||18.0||264||16.4||16.5||-17||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||116||7.6||6.8||151||9.4||7.6||-35||22007|
|49 hours or more||137||9.0||10.0||184||11.5||11.8||-47||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Bega Valley Shire's resident workers (Retail Trade) in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 58.2% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 40.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 51.2% and 47.7% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (17.1% compared to 13.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 1 hour - 15 hours (21.8% compared to 19.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 40 hours (7.9% compared to 12.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.2% compared to 18.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Retail Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Bega Valley Shire decreased by 124 people (16.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+57 people)
- 49 hours or more (-47 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-35 people)
- 40 hours (-25 people)