34.5% of the resident workers (Education and Training) in Bega Valley Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.6% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Bega Valley Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Bega Valley Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bega Valley Shire - Education and Training||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||157||15.9||15.0||165||16.4||14.9||-8|
|16 hours - 24 hours||133||13.5||12.3||134||13.3||12.1||-1|
|25 hours - 34 hours||169||17.1||12.8||158||15.7||13.0||+11|
|35 hours - 39 hours||142||14.4||17.8||122||12.1||17.3||+20|
|41 hours - 48 hours||73||7.4||8.1||69||6.9||8.8||+4|
|49 hours or more||134||13.6||13.6||141||14.0||13.3||-7|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Bega Valley Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 50.5% of the resident workers in Education and Training worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 48.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 43.7% and 55.4% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Education and Training) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (13.5% compared to 12.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (17.1% compared to 12.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (14.4% compared to 17.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (13.6% compared to 15.9%)
The number of the resident workers (Education and Training) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Bega Valley Shire decreased by 6 people (-1.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Education and Training) in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-23 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+20 persons)
- None (-14 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+11 persons)