Bega Valley Shire
Resident workers - Hours worked
40.5% of the resident workers (Other Services) in Bega Valley Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.6% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Bega Valley Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Bega Valley Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||61||13.3||12.4||51||11.4||10.9||+10||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||50||10.9||10.5||58||13.0||9.2||-8||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||53||11.6||10.4||48||10.7||9.3||+5||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||86||18.8||19.6||74||16.6||18.5||+12||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||39||8.5||9.6||49||11.0||10.7||-10||22007|
|49 hours or more||71||15.5||14.4||77||17.2||16.6||-6||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Bega Valley Shire's resident workers (Other Services) in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.5% of the resident workers (Other Services) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.7% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Other Services) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.6% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 49 hours or more (15.5% compared to 14.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 40 hours (16.4% compared to 19.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Other Services) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.5% compared to 9.6%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Other Services) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Bega Valley Shire decreased by 3 people (1.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Other Services) in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+12 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+10 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-10 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-8 people)