Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Bega Valley Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Bega Valley Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Bega Valley Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Bega Valley Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||924||7.0||2.1||852||6.1||2.1||+72|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||130||1.0||0.9||135||1.0||1.0||-5|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,412||10.7||7.1||1,450||10.5||6.3||-38|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||439||3.3||4.7||550||4.0||4.6||-111|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||113||0.9||2.2||115||0.8||2.2||-2|
|Financial and Insurance Services||178||1.4||4.9||204||1.5||4.8||-26|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||182||1.4||1.8||182||1.3||1.5||--|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||561||4.3||8.1||565||4.1||7.4||-4|
|Administrative and Support Services||428||3.3||3.5||344||2.5||3.1||+84|
|Public Administration and Safety||697||5.3||6.0||680||4.9||5.8||+17|
|Education and Training||988||7.5||8.4||1,016||7.3||7.5||-28|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,895||14.4||12.5||1,700||12.3||10.9||+195|
|Arts and Recreation Services||218||1.7||1.5||189||1.4||1.4||+29|
|Industry not classified||477||3.6||4.7||275||2.0||2.3||+202|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Bega Valley Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,895 people or 14.4%)
- Retail Trade (1,524 people or 11.6%)
- Accommodation and Food Services (1,412 people or 10.7%)
In combination these three industries employed 4,831 people in total or 36.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade and 7.1% in Accommodation and Food Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (7.0% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.3% compared to 8.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (10.7% compared to 7.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.4% compared to 4.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Bega Valley Shire were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+202 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+195 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-158 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-119 resident workforce)