Bega Valley Shire
Resident workers - Qualifications
54.1% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Bega Valley Shire have qualifications, compared to 62.3% for New South Wales.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for Bega Valley Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income, Occupation and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of Bega Valley Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||26||10.7||30.5||30||8.5||24.0||-4||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||21||8.7||10.9||15||4.2||10.4||+6||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||4||1.7||1.3||8||2.3||1.6||-4||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||77||31.8||17.1||94||26.6||16.8||-17||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||3||1.2||2.6||7||2.0||2.1||-4||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||9||3.7||2.6||21||5.9||4.3||-12||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Bega Valley Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 54.1% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) held educational qualifications, and 42.1% had no qualifications, compared with 62.3% and 35.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) with Certificate III & IV Levels (31.8% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) with No qualifications (42.1% compared to 35.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) with Bachelor or Higher degrees (10.7% compared to 30.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (8.7% compared to 10.9%)
The largest change in the qualifications held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 was:
- No qualifications (-77 people )