Bega Valley Shire
Resident workers - Method of travel to work
The resident workers in Bega Valley Shire have a lower proportion of people using public transport to get to work than New South Wales.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport Bega Valley Shire's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work and for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||New South Wales %||Number||%||New South Wales %||2011 to 2016|
|Car, as driver||104||80.6||70.8||105||77.2||69.5||-1||2001|
|Car, as passenger||0||0.0||2.9||4||2.9||3.9||-4||2002|
|Other - multiple methods||3||2.3||1.0||0||0.0||1.1||+3||2017|
|Worked at home||0||0.0||1.7||7||5.1||1.2||-7||2019|
|Did not go to work||13||10.1||5.7||13||9.6||6.6||0||2020|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
In 2016, there were 0 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Bega Valley Shire, compared with 113 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in Bega Valley Shire shows that 0.0% used public transport, while 87.6% used a private vehicle, compared with 11.1% and 76.5% respectively in New South Wales.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) travelled to work by Car, as driver (80.6% compared to 70.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) travelled to work by Did not go to work (10.1% compared to 5.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) travelled to work by Truck (7.0% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) travelled to work by Train (0.0% compared to 8.5%)
The largest changes in the method of travel of work of the resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Worked at home (-7 people)
- Car, as passenger (-4 people)
- Other - multiple methods (+3 people)
- Truck (+2 people)