Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Bellingen Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Bellingen Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Bellingen Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Bellingen Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||93||1.9||2.1||81||1.7||2.0||+12|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||467||9.6||10.4||487||10.2||10.8||-20|
|Architecture and Building||250||5.1||4.4||261||5.5||4.1||-11|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||173||3.5||1.5||162||3.4||1.5||+11|
|Management and Commerce||455||9.3||17.1||411||8.6||15.5||+44|
|Society and Culture||476||9.7||8.8||386||8.1||7.6||+90|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||194||4.0||3.3||183||3.8||3.2||+11|
|Mixed Field Programmes||5||0.1||0.1||3||0.1||0.1||+2|
|Not stated or inadequately described||164||3.4||2.7||140||2.9||3.5||+24|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Bellingen Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Society and Culture (476 people or 9.7%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (467 people or 9.6%)
- Health (461 people or 9.4%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 1,404 people in total or 28.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 8.8% in Society and Culture; 10.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 7.1% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Bellingen Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (9.3% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (8.7% compared to 5.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (9.4% compared to 7.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Information Technology (0.8% compared to 3.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Bellingen Shire increased by 109 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Bellingen Shire was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+90 resident workers)
- Creative Arts (+60 resident workers)
- Health (+49 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+44 resident workers)