Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Bellingen Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Bellingen Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Bellingen Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||465||12.9||12.7||501||13.9||13.2||-36|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||451||12.5||10.4||388||10.8||9.5||+63|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||354||9.8||13.8||392||10.9||15.0||-38|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||240||6.7||6.1||201||5.6||6.4||+39|
|Inadequately described or not stated||63||1.7||1.8||66||1.8||1.8||-3|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Bellingen Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (666 local workers or 18.5%)
- Managers (593 local workers or 16.4%)
- Labourers (474 local workers or 13.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,733 people in total or 48.0% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% as Professionals; 13.5% as Managers and 8.8% as Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Bellingen Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (18.5% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (13.1% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (9.8% compared to 13.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (16.4% compared to 13.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Bellingen Shire between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Managers (-77 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+63 local workers)
- Professionals (+59 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+39 local workers)