City of Greater Bendigo
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in the City of Greater Bendigo than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Greater Bendigo's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Greater Bendigo or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Greater Bendigo, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Greater Bendigo||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||652||1.3||2.4||541||1.2||2.2||+111||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||4,920||10.1||10.1||4,567||10.0||10.4||+353||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||2,648||5.4||4.6||2,255||4.9||4.2||+393||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||1,084||2.2||1.6||921||2.0||1.5||+163||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||4,989||10.3||15.0||4,325||9.5||13.3||+664||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||4,153||8.5||8.9||3,224||7.0||7.7||+929||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,951||4.0||3.6||1,656||3.6||3.5||+295||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||34||0.1||0.1||16||0.0||0.0||+18||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,390||2.9||2.9||1,572||3.4||3.8||-182||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Greater Bendigo shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (4,989 people or 10.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (4,920 people or 10.1%)
- Health (4,899 people or 10.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 14,808 people in total or 30.4% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 15.0% in Management and Commerce; 10.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 7.5% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the City of Greater Bendigo and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (10.1% compared to 7.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Education (7.0% compared to 5.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (10.3% compared to 15.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Information Technology (1.5% compared to 3.1%)
The number of resident workers in the City of Greater Bendigo increased by 2,924 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Greater Bendigo were for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+929 people)
- Health (+922 people)
- Management and Commerce (+664 people)
- Education (+601 people)