Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the City of Boroondara.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the City of Boroondara's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Boroondara||2021/22||2016/17||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016/17 - 2021/22|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||206||0.3||2.5||243||0.4||3.6||-37|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||225||0.3||1.4||288||0.4||1.4||-64|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,865||4.2||4.5||3,937||5.7||5.6||-1,071|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,393||2.1||5.5||1,998||2.9||5.7||-605|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||698||1.0||1.9||814||1.2||2.2||-116|
|Financial and Insurance Services||3,684||5.4||4.9||3,039||4.4||4.2||+646|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,939||2.9||1.7||2,067||3.0||1.7||-128|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||13,402||19.8||10.9||11,346||16.4||9.3||+2,055|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,562||2.3||2.8||2,370||3.4||3.2||-808|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,236||3.3||6.1||1,733||2.5||5.1||+503|
|Education and Training||9,759||14.4||8.6||9,646||13.9||8.1||+113|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||11,327||16.7||13.2||10,482||15.1||11.5||+845|
|Arts and Recreation Services||727||1.1||1.6||931||1.3||1.7||-204|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2022. ©2023. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions). NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Boroondara in 2021/22 shows the three largest industries were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (13,402 people or 19.8%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (11,327 people or 16.7%)
- Education and Training (9,759 people or 14.4%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 34,487 people in total or 51.0% of the local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 10.9% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 13.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 8.6% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the City of Boroondara and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (19.8% compared to 10.9%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (14.4% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Manufacturing (2.7% compared to 8.3%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (16.7% compared to 13.2%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Boroondara increased by decreased by -1,573 between 2016/17 and 2021/22.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2016/17 and 2021/22 in the City of Boroondara were for those employed in:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+2,055 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+845 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+646 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Public Administration and Safety (+503 full-time equivalent local workers)